Source: Gators QB Driskel missed last two practices with sore shoulder, will return Wednesday

A source close to the situation confirmed to The Alligator that Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel missed practice with a sore shoulder Monday and Tuesday.

The source also confirmed Driskel would return to practice Wednesday.

On Tuesday afternoon, USA Today's Rachel George spoke with Driskel's mother, who said the sophomore quarterback injured his left shoulder Sunday.

Mary Driskel said that her son's non-throwing shoulder felt sore Monday, and, as a result, he missed practice Monday and Tuesday.

She confirmed UF's released statement which said Driskel will return to practice Wednesday.

"Head coach Will Muschamp will address any injuries at his next media availability," a released statement read. "Jeff Driskel was at practice today and will be taking reps at practice on Wednesday."

Driskel's mother spoke in response to a report from The Gainesville Sun that Driskel had missed Tuesday's practice with a "significant" shoulder injury.

The injury news comes on the heels of Monday's media availability with Gators coach Will Muschamp.

Muschamp said he recently decided Driskel and fellow sophomore quarterback Jacoby Brissett would shed their red, no-contact jerseys in practice.

"[Offensive coordinator Brent Pease] and I talked after the scrimmage (Saturday)," Muschamp said. "About making them, putting them in a blue jersey from the simple standpoint of feeling the presence in the pocket and from the pocket collapsing."

With apparently little separation in the quarterback race, Muschamp said he introduced contact to the quarterbacks in practice to get a better feel of how they would react to pass rushers in game situations.

"We went to a tempo [Sunday] where we thud a little bit on them, made them a little live," Muschamp said. "Didn’t take them to the ground, but I think it’s important for them to feel the presence of the pocket."

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.