<p>Todd Lowen, a 20-year-old telecommunication sophomore, gets help from Kellen Denny, a Computing Help Desk associate, on Thursday. Lowen had problems with his MacBook’s wireless internet after moving to campus.</p>

Todd Lowen, a 20-year-old telecommunication sophomore, gets help from Kellen Denny, a Computing Help Desk associate, on Thursday. Lowen had problems with his MacBook’s wireless internet after moving to campus.

As Brianna Ahik stood six people deep in line at the UF Computing Help Desk, the journalism junior grew more and more frustrated.

“I installed it,” said Ahik, 23. “I still can’t f--king get on.”

She turned to her friend, Mike Maguire.

“I’m getting frustrated,” Ahik said. “I have an online class.”

“Do you have a Mac also?” Maguire said. “I think it may be a Mac problem.”

Ahik shook her head no.

The Computing Help Desk at the Hub was swamped Thursday with students who were having trouble connecting to UF’s new wireless network.

The network was updated July 16 to help students efficiently access the Internet while on campus, according to Alligator archives. The new system included combined resources and required students to update an anti-virus software.

As part of the change, UFW, the former on-campus wireless system, and DHW, the Internet service for dorms, combined this fall into one service.

Nick Robbie, a tech support staff for the Computing Help Desk, said students have been coming in since 8 a.m. Wednesday, and the lines have been long ever since.

Ahik said she’s had problems connecting to the Internet for a month. Now she spent her second day of classes waiting in line at the Hub.

Maguire, a 20-year-old UF sophomore, said he spoke to Mac owners who also have the same problem.

He said he tried to reconfigure his wireless connection twice already, but whenever he tried to access Google, he’d have the same problem many students were facing: being redirected to the wireless network website and being told to connect to the UF wireless system again.

“A lot of people don’t know they need anti-virus,” Robbie said.

The line has been filled with Mac and PC owners alike, but most of them have been Mac owners. For Mac owners, the auto configuration setting depends on the type of operating system, such as Leopard or Mountain Lion, he said.

Some students like Ahik decided to use the computers in the Hub to get online before figuring out what was wrong with their laptops. For those students in line, the wait can feel frustrating.

“I don’t want to stand in this long line,” Ahik said, the line snaking behind her. “I could be eating lunch right now.”