Like many fathers, Michael Manfredi enjoyed reading to his toddler Jack. And like many toddlers, Jack liked to listen.

In 2003, Manfredi learned that children’s picture books can do more than simply provide enjoyment for children.

While Manfredi was reading Maurice Sendak’s “In the Night Kitchen” to Jack, the vision of a dreamy moon and stars theme for what became Sweet Dreams, a local ice cream shop, was born.

Manfredi, a former jewelry designer for 16 years and owner of Sweet Dreams, moved to Gainesville in 1992. There were no local ice cream shops in Gainesville then, Manfredi said.

Manfredi started small.

“It was basically myself, my wife and that was it,” he said.

Now, almost eight years after the original Sweet Dreams shop opened on West University, Manfredi is opening another shop, at the intersection of University Avenue and Waldo Road.

The new shop is expected to open before the end of August, he said.

All of the booths at the new shop were handcrafted by Manfredi and his workers on site. The space will be able to hold 40 to 50 people, he said.

“I wanted to make this place super special,” he said.

It will also include an play area for children. It was entirely handmade as well, he said, and may be the only play area of its kind around.

“To my knowledge, no one has made a miniature ice cream shop of wood,” he said.

Manfredi said the hours for the new shop will likely be 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at first. He plans for the new place to host birthday parties, events, fundraisers and even field trips for preschools.

A primary goal of the new shop will be to provide a family-friendly place for people to go on the east side of Gainesville. Others may follow and open shops in that area also, he said.

“I wanted to put something here that builds a neighborhood,” he said.

Kate McIntyre, 21, a recent UF graduate and employee at Sweet Dreams, is excited about the opportunity to open a new location.

Sweet Dreams has a lot of customers from the east side of Gainesville and having a shop closer to that side of town will be good for them, she said.

Chanity Riddle, 25, a licensed massage therapist at Casa Ma Holistic Spa and Studios, frequents Sweet Dreams at least once a week.

Riddle said if anyone can run an ice cream shop on the east side of Gainesville, Manfredi can.

“That area needs a fun place to go to,” she said.