<p>Red shirt junior tight end Jordan Reed takes a hard hit during Florida's 38-0 victory against Kentucky at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday.</p>

Red shirt junior tight end Jordan Reed takes a hard hit during Florida's 38-0 victory against Kentucky at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday.

When the Florida offense took the field against Kentucky on Saturday, it surprisingly did so without the Gator who has had the most success against the Wildcats

When the Florida offense took the field against Kentucky on Saturday, it did so without the Gator who has had the most success against the Wildcats: junior Trey Burton.

Coach Will Muschamp said following UF’s 38-0 win that Burton began suffering from back spasms on Friday morning, and the training staff could not resolve the issue in time for him to play.

“We did everything we could,” Muschamp said. “Every time he planted on his right foot, he had pain shooting up his right hip. That’s all it was.”

Burton, who was not on the sidelines during the game, scored six touchdowns against the Wildcats as a freshman and scored one more during Florida’s 48-10 win in Lexington, Ky., last season. In Florida’s win against Tennessee last week, Burton scored two touchdowns and gained 129 yards on just five touches

Muschamp said it was not the first time Burton had been bothered by back spasms.

“I believe there was a game that came up, and there was a lot of question marks whether he would be able to go,” Muschamp said.

Muschamp said losing Burton is a blow to the offense and the punt coverage unit.

“As much as Trey does for us, it’s tough,” Muschamp said. “I’ve got to walk down to [special teams coach D.J.] Durkin’s office and tell him, and he’s under the desk. [Burton] does so much for us on special teams.”

Other injuries: Defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd left Saturday’s game at the end of the second quarter with what Muschamp described as a “stinger” on his shoulder.

“Everything should be fine,” Muschamp said.

Tight end Jordan Reed made one of the most memorable plays of the day on the Gators’ final touchdown drive of the first half, but it also cost him a shoulder injury of his own. He held onto a 25-yard pass from Jeff Driskel despite losing his helmet when Wildcats safeties Mikie Benton and Ashely Lowery sandwiched him. Benton received a personal foul on the play for targeting a defenseless receiver.

“Reed got dinged up on his shoulder,” Muschamp said. “[He] came out third quarter and tried to go and just didn’t feel like he could get his hand up and get the range of motion.”

The Gators were without right tackle Chaz Green for the second straight game as he remained hobbled by a left ankle injury he suffered on Sept. 8 against Texas A&M.

Muschamp said during the week that Green was probable for Saturday, but the training staff decided that he could not play after evaluating him prior to the game.

Defensive end Dominique Easley also missed Saturday’s game due to swelling in his left knee.

“We just didn’t feel like he was good,” Muschamp said.

Easley suffered an ACL tear on Nov. 26 against Florida State, but played in each of Florida’s first three games this season.

Brissett sees the field: When the Gators took over possession with a 31-0 lead and 11:57 remaining in the game, Will Muschamp decided to give Driskel a rest and put in backup Jacoby Brissett. In two drives, Brissett did not throw a pass, but he ran twice for 4 yards on his first drive, including a 1-yard touchdown on a sneak.

“We had the game in hand, and we felt very comfortable about that,” Muschamp said. “Jacoby Brissett deserves the opportunity to play, no different than any other position.”

Speculation abounds that Florida might redshirt Brissett to put a year of separation between him and Driskel. Players remain eligible for a medical redshirt if they don’t play after the sixth game of the season or play in more than four games.

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.

Sophomore quarterback Jacoby Brissett hands the ball off to sophomore running back Chris Johnson in the fourth quarter against Kentucky at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012, in Gainesville, Fla.