Healthy locals volunteer as patients for med school students

Frank’s smoking proved problematic when he visited the doctor. The 58-year-old had been smoking since was he was a teenager, but he wanted admission into an exercise program.

When the doctor found out about his history, Frank was immediately ordered to quit because cigarettes contain carcinogens.

But Frank wasn’t at risk at all. In fact, he doesn’t even exist — he was just a character played by 76-year-old Jimmy Johnson in order to help teach UF medical students how to interact with patients.

The Harrell Professional Development Assessment Center, part of the UF College of Medicine, uses standardized patients to let medical students practice everything from reading vital signs to performing prostate exams.

Standardized patients are trained and paid to portray a specific patient problem in a consistent manner. Patients are people of all backgrounds, education level, cultures and experiences. Each is given a pretend medical history.

“What we do here is essential,” said Maria Velazquez, the director of the Harrell Center. “It’s one of the main things that make this place special.”

She said most people who know about the program heard of it through word-of-mouth. There are about 50 active standardized patients who are paid $20 for training and $15 for each encounter.

The patients are used by physician’s assistant, nurse practitioner, dental and even physical therapy students.

Jack Harris has been a standardized patient for about 12 years. The retired Southern Bell Telephone Company employee said he wishes he had started the program earlier.

“It’s like I’m in a real doctor’s office,” said 81-year-old Harris.

One time, Harris had to act as an irate patient.

“I was fussin’ at them and askin’ them why I had to wait so long,” he said. “The point was for them to be able to calm me down.”

Harris said he likes being part of the program because he likes helping the students. Programs like these are needed for medical students because it gets them ready for the real world, he said.

The center is always looking for 30- to 50-year-olds because they normally work during the day, but even toddlers have been used for pediatric students.The kinds of patients that come in are usually students, retired workers and people in between jobs, Valazquez said.

“It gives them something to do, and we certainly can use their help,” she said.

UF criminology senior Kelly Boyd has been a patient three times.

“It’s an easy way to make cash,” said the 22-year-old. She said she plans to keep doing this part time until she graduates.

The medical students have to practice communication skills and sometimes take the history of the patient or perform a physical exam. They have to be able to ask the patient sensitive questions such as if they are taking drugs or if they drink alcohol.

But all the patients’ responses are based on a history that was given to them.

Johnson, a retired Air Force recruiter, heard about the program through a friend at Northwest Baptist Church. At first, he was a bit apprehensive.

“I wasn’t sure if I would be able to memorize the script,” Johnson said. “I wouldn’t have gone in if my better half hadn’t told me to.”

After the interview, the standardized patients meet with the students and give them feedback on how they did. This is where the students are graded and reviewed.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” Johnson said. “It’s kind of like a fun house — you don’t if

you’re going to be scared or if you’re going to laugh. It’s a bit of an adventure.”