<p>The Brew Spot Cafe offers a menu of breakfast, lunch and appetizers in addition to fresh-brewed coffees, craft beers and fine wines. Free chemistry lessons are also available in the cafe’s classroom.</p>

The Brew Spot Cafe offers a menu of breakfast, lunch and appetizers in addition to fresh-brewed coffees, craft beers and fine wines. Free chemistry lessons are also available in the cafe’s classroom.

Culinary creations and chemistry, an unlikely combination, fuse together at The Brew Spot Cafe, which opened early this month.

Less than 15 minutes from the UF campus, The Brew Spot Cafe, 1000 NE 16th Ave. Building H, offers patrons free chemistry lessons in addition to the menu.

Jeff Keaffaber, senior lecturer in the department of chemistry at UF and co-owner of The Brew Spot Cafe, teaches free chemistry classes to students who want extra assistance.

“Help is offered to UF, Santa Fe and high school students,” Keaffaber said. “If you need help, show up.”

Topics are presented at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday in the classroom at the cafe, a space with walls covered in chalkboard paint and six extra-large picnic tables that are perfect for studying.

The cafe is open for business between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily, serving breakfast all day, lunch and appetizers, said Keith Cox, co-owner and general manager at The Brew Spot Cafe.

“No freezer, no deep fryer — you will get fresh foods, home-baked breads, pies and cakes, all cooked the same day,” Cox said.

In addition to food, the cafe offers a drink selection of fresh-brewed coffees, craft beers and fine wines.

After leaving work at Disney as an Imagineer in 2003, Keaffaber wanted to create a place to fuse arts and science in a community-first restaurant.

One way the cafe focuses on the community is by decorating the walls with work by local artists.

If artists wish to sell their work, The Brew Spot Cafe asks for 10 percent of the price to donate to local elementary school art programs. They also buy their food from local growers, Keaffaber said.

The classroom is also home to The Brew Spot Cafe Dinner Theater, where guests can enjoy a performance with their meal. The theater’s season begins with a mystery, “Trouble in Silver City,” Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Keaffaber said he hopes the community finds other ways to use the classroom space.

“I just want it to be open and welcoming,” he said.