Frankie Muniz performed in Gainesville on Sunday, but he wasn’t the star of this show.

College students may know Muniz best for his leading role and cowlicked hair on “Malcolm in the Middle” in the early 2000s, but now the 26-year-old former actor and race car driver sits partially hidden behind the drum set of pop-rock band Kingsfoil. He’s matured since his Agent Cody Banks days, donning shorter, spiked hair and a goatee.

“His attitude of working hard and being on the same level we’re at on how he wants to do things, that sort of inspired all of us to even work harder,” lead vocalist Jordan Davis said.

Kingsfoil played a 40-minute set to a roughly 90-person audience at 1982 on Sunday night.

Before the show, Muniz and the other band members chatted on the sidewalk of University Avenue with students, doormen and opening acts. It was their first time in Gainesville.

Selina Vargas and her two friends traveled two hours to see the band. The 18-year-old Orlando resident said she hoped the band would play her favorite song, “What Your Mother Taught You.”

Jacksonville-based acoustic opening act Samuel Sanders said he was impressed with the band’s sound.

“It’s kind of rocky but still groovy,” he said. “Their melodies are super hooky, too.”

After the show, the four band members stood at the back of the venue.

Muniz said he isn’t using money from his acting career to financially advance the band.

“We’re not taking any shortcuts,” Muniz said. “The band right now is completely self-sufficient on its own, and that’s pretty cool.”

Right now the band stuffs its members, staff and equipment in a 15-person van and trailer.

“Gas is killing us right now,” guitarist Tristan Martin said. “We’re only getting five-and-a-half to eight miles a gallon depending on which way the wind is blowing. We’re ready to get out of the van for a while.”

Band members said they believed Muniz’s past fame from his acting career wouldn’t overshadow the Kingsfoil name.

“Probably within 45 seconds of the show starting, they probably completely forget about it,” Muniz said. “If I could hide behind a curtain or have more cymbals to cover me, the better.”

Contact Michael Scott Davidson at mdavidson@alligator.org.