Welcoming the fall sweetly with a vegan dessert

The leaves turn from forest green to crimson red, “Lincoln Park After Dark” (OPI’s famous dark nail polish color) is flying off the shelves faster than “50 Shades of Grey,” and an amber hue on the horizon seems to be ever-present. What do these changes have in common? They are all signs that autumn has fallen upon us once again.

My sweet-tooth is never a stranger to these changes, and each year this season rolls around I find myself craving warm, earthy desserts. What better way to welcome the autumn than sweetly?

Between the cooler climate and the aromatic atmosphere, autumn brings an urge to bake. Baking seems ingenuous, but baking cardamom cookies and pumpkin pies from a box leave me feeling too full and lethargic. It’s difficult to function when you are in a post-pie slump!

In order to eat healthy and still indulge in fall’s sweet treats, I wanted to bake a wholesome, vegan fall dessert from — dare I say it — scratch. No packaging and no processing.

My friend’s blog, http://culinarykarma.tumblr.com/, has recipes for homemade, vegan meals and deserts. I found a nutritious and delicious recipe for vegan pumpkin pie and apple pie cookies that filled my apartment with autumn fragrance and my mouth watering for more.

Carly Gross’ recipe for Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie Cookies:

Ingredients:

1 cup oats (preferably gluten free)

1/8 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp cinnamon

Pinch of salt, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger

1 tbsp coconut flakes

1 tbsp coconut flour

1 cup pumpkin or applesauce (for whichever cookie you prefer)

2 tbsp almond butter

3 tbsp honey

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Drops of stevia, if you have a big sweet tooth like me!

Directions:

· Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.

· In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients, and stir to combine. Taste (yes you can taste vegan cookies while raw) and add stevia if sweeter cookie is desired.

· Form into cookie shapes (they will not flatten out when baked!)

· Bake for 10 minutes.