By its name alone, the classic rock genre is seen as a musical era valued in retrospect — a finite period of time when musical innovators left their marks on rock ‘n’ roll history.

While many bands were content to just leave their marks, there are some who aspire to remain a part of it. Case in point: Columbia Records acts and musical legends Aerosmith and AC/DC.

On Nov. 6, Aerosmith released “Music From Another Dimension,” its first album in 11 years. AC/DC will release “Live At River Plate,” the band’s first live album in 20 years, Monday.

Aerosmith’s latest offering includes the Boston quintet’s trademark blend of bluesy swagger, dance-heavy grooves and hard rock thrash that is evident on album opener “LUV XXX.”

The album received mixed reviews from critics and garnered a 53 out of 100 score on Metacritic.

According to AC/DC’s official website, “Live At River Plate” was recorded at the band’s performance in December 2009 in Buenos Aires. The DVD version of the concert was released in May 2011 and documented the three sold-out performances in front of 200,000 fans. It was the band’s first show in Argentina in 13 years.

The website also said the Black Ice World Tour earned it a Pollstar award for Major Tour of the Year in 2010.

These two hard rock icons aren’t the only classic rock ‘n’ roll bands that have resurfaced after years of dormancy. Van Halen returned to the studio for its February 2012 release of “A Different Kind of Truth.”

Aerosmith and AC/DC are members of a movement — a movement including rock stars of yore attempting to stay relevant decades after their supposed prime. Perhaps the epitome of trend lies in the enduring rock ‘n’ roll spirit of British invasion vanguards the Rolling Stones. According to an article in The Telegraph, the band will kick off its 50th anniversary tour Nov. 25 at the O2 Arena in London.

While it is too easy to write off these bands as a bunch of old men trying to relive their glory years, it is important to recognize the impact their presence has on fans of this generation and others.

According to Billboard’s official website, AC/DC’s 2008 release “Black Ice” attained the top spot on the Billboard 200, Rock Albums and Hard Rock Albums charts.

While fans can only speculate what motivates these bands to continue, one thing is for sure: Their music is still relevant to listeners. In spite of the rock ‘n’ roll ethics accusations voiced by fans and critics, one cannot deny that these bands still have large, devoted audiences committed to supporting their music.