House of representatives candidate looks to aid job creation through deregulation

<p>Keith Perry, 53, hopes to reduce regulations to create jobs if elected to the state House of Representatives.</p>

Keith Perry, 53, hopes to reduce regulations to create jobs if elected to the state House of Representatives.

Though Keith Perry was born in Florida State University territory, he hopes to represent The Gator Nation in the state House of Representatives.

The 53-year-old father of two said he decided to run four years ago to help create a sustainable future for his daughters.

Perry said he would work to stimulate job creation by getting rid of regulations and creating a level playing field for small businesses to compete with companies.

“I believe that the answers and the problems we face will only be solved by the next generation,” he said. “And they will only be able to solve it if they have the right environment that allows them to pursue their dreams and passions.”

One step to creating this ideal environment, Perry said, is to deregulate businesses to allow for more competition from smaller businesses.

He said regulations are often used as a tool by company-backed politicians to favor corporations over local businesses.

Two examples he points to are Google and Facebook. He said neither of the businesses would be what they are today if Internet businesses were regulated.

“Regulations stifle individual creativity,” Perry said. “It reduces individual opportunity, and it enhances the domination of large corporations in our society.”

He also said he hopes that students at UF will research his positions and the issues that face the state.

Despite his stance, Perry voted on two state budgets that cut funding for UF previously.

Though he said he regrets the budget cuts to the university, Perry said he agreed with 95 percent of those budgets and knew they would pass with or without his affirmative vote.

He also said it’s hard for a first-term representative to effect much change in the state House, but he said he will be able to accomplish more for his constituents the longer he stays.

“It’s so hard to really get in depth and explain to people the realities of politics,” Perry said.

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.