Bruce Doyle never knew his father.

When he was a year old, his father died in the Vietnam War. Doyle spent most of his life exploring his passion for the American Fighter Aces, an organization that honors pilots who took down five or more hostile aircrafts in combat, and trying to figure out what led to his dad’s death.

“My kids were the same age as my father was when he died, and I still couldn’t tell them what happened to their grandfather,” he said.

Doyle, 68, shared his collection of Fighter Aces autographs as part of the Florida Museum of Natural History’s Veteran’s Day Military Recognition Event on Sunday.

The museum recreated a World War I Balloon Corps encampment on its main floor. World War I military uniforms, pilot helmets and gloves, and photos were on display.

Tiffany Ireland, a 36-year-old education assistant at the museum, said it was the first time the museum had celebrated Veterans Day with a focus on aviation. The museum is hosting the Peanuts exhibit, which features Charlie Brown’s pet beagle, Snoopy.

“He is a mascot for the Air Force Control and is known for being against the Red Baron,” she said. “That’s why we decided to focus on World War I and airpower.”

Col. George Mazzeo, a United States Air Force veteran and Santa Fe College professor, gave a presentation called “WWI and the Birth of Airpower” to an audience of about 15 people.

He said only a small percentage of the population are veterans.

“We ask so few people to sacrifice so much,” he said.

Doyle was a part of Mazzeo’s audience. He looked down at his shirt, which had a B-25 bomber printed on it, knowing now that his father, Lt. George Doyle, was in that model of plane when it was shot down in June 1945.

Doyle said he feels that through his research and support of the Fighter Aces, he pays tribute to veterans every day.

“Veterans give up all their tomorrows for our todays,” he said. “It’s important to give thanks.”