In the middle of studying for finals, we’re all fantasizing about what we’ll be doing over the winter break. Many of us do the same things year after year, but the college experience is about learning new skills, gaining knowledge, networking and, at the very least, creating some good stories to tell future grandchildren. Why not try something new this season?

Gather a few of your friends and plan the road trip of your life. Need a little inspiration? Check out the Twitter account of the S. S. Jenny to see some of the highlights of four friends’ seven-week journey around America. Granted, winter break is not that long, but it only took the gentlemen of the trip 13 days to get to the Pacific coast — and that’s with stops in places like New Orleans, various places in Texas, the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas! Since it is winter, though, be sure to do a little research on road closures as part of your planning.

Yeah, road trips are great but gas is expensive, and, besides, I like to keep my carbon footprint as light as possible, you say. I commend you for being so thoughtful! Perhaps volunteering with animals would be a better choice for you. Think of all the loving, playful dogs that spend 23 hours each day, lonely and sad, in a hard, concrete and metal kennel at the shelter. Think of the attention-starved cats that just want a little nuzzle — on their own terms, of course! You can’t take them all home because, for one, it’s just not sanitary. Also, your roommate is allergic to cats, and your hectic social life and class schedules just don’t afford you the time it requires to take proper care of a dog. That’s why working with geriatric or disabled animals at Second Chance Farms, playing with dogs or cats at the Alachua County Humane Society, helping with the monkeys at Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary, grooming rabbits for Gainesville Rabbit Rescue, or caring for retired horses at Mill Creek Farm is the perfect alternative. If you choose to work with dogs, study a little bit about their behavior from the inspirational Sue Sternberg, and truly help make a difference.

Of course, there are people in need, too—some who are victims of circumstance, some who are truly alone in this world, and others who’ve just fallen on hard times and need a little assistance. Through St. Francis House, you can help feed the hungry. Find out how you can help victims of domestic violence by contacting Peaceful Paths. Through our local Ronald McDonald House, you can help families of critically ill children. Even the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office welcomes volunteers for its Victim Advocate Unit. Not only will these experiences be emotionally fulfilling for you, they will look great on a resume!

Helping out is great, but, like flight attendants teach, you have to put your own oxygen mask on before you try to help someone else put on theirs. Don’t get the wrong idea, you don’t have to be a perfect person to volunteer; in fact, there are many reports (such as this one) that claim volunteering actually helps combat depression, but be sure to take care of yourself, as well.

So feel free to cut loose and step out of your comfort zone. Take sewing lessons at The Tease. Learn to crochet or knit gifts for your friends at Yarn Works. Get a workout on the stairs at Devil’s Millhopper. Go climbing at Gainesville Rock Gym. Be crafty and environmentally savvy by trying out a new upcycling idea.

Whatever you do over the break, make an effort to spread some kindness. And enjoy your break—you deserve it!