Biomass plant sparks civic discussion

As an international airline pilot, Pamela Mincey has witnessed the effects of climate change. She saw a biomass plant slated to open this summer eight miles north of Gainesville as a step in the right direction.

At a Gainesville City Commission workshop Wednesday, a divided group of about 70 people discussed their concerns about the plant.

The workshop was held as part of a lawsuit settlement between the commission and response group Gainesville Citizens Care Inc.

Ray Washington, a local attorney, gave a presentation about what he called the “public process” flaws in the commission’s handling of the plant’s contract. He said details of the contract were kept hidden through redactions to protect Gainesville Renewable Energy Center from competitors.

“The commission would not listen. It became comical,” Washington said.

Gainesville Regional Utilities signed a power purchasing agreement in 2009 to purchase all energy produced by the plant.

GRU general manager Robert Hunzinger said the company has had no success finding other entities to purchase some of the energy from the city.

Biomass plants use wood to create energy with less pollution than fossil fuels while helping to provide communities with energy security and diversity, said GREC President Jim Gordon.

Hunzinger estimated the total value of the plant plus fuel costs at about $3 billion in the 30-year contract.

Gordon said investing into the plant will help Gainesville and the surrounding communities, creating jobs and providing tax revenue.