Ice rink project frozen due to technical difficulties

<p>Patrick O’Connor, 63, searches a trucking pamphlet for a job as a hired driver on Bo Diddley Community Plaza Sunday afternoon. “I used to go ice skating when I was a little kid,” he said.</p>

Patrick O’Connor, 63, searches a trucking pamphlet for a job as a hired driver on Bo Diddley Community Plaza Sunday afternoon. “I used to go ice skating when I was a little kid,” he said.

Gainesville residents did not get to enjoy a white Christmas after all.

After the anticipated ice rink slated to occupy Bo Diddley Community Plaza was delayed from opening several times, it was finally canceled after technical challenges.

The obstacles included several unsuccessful repairs to the chiller lines intended to freeze the ice and problems with fitting the ice rink on the plaza, said city spokesman Bob Woods.

Issues with setting up the 35-foot tent designed to cover the ice also interfered with the project, according to Alligator archives.

Russell Etling, programs coordinator for the city of Gainesville, said Midwest Display decided to nix the rink because the delays pushed the opening too far into the window between Thanksgiving and the holiday season, when the company was counting on the most ticket sales.

Etling said the city will look into offering an ice rink next winter.

“We do our homework and felt comfortable with [Midwest Display’s] capabilities,” he said.

“I truly believe there were forces beyond anyone’s control. Sometimes technical challenges happen.”

Midwest Display representatives were unable to be reached for comment.

Ruby Mendez, a 19-year-old nursing freshman, said the rink’s cancellation was a disappointing loss.

“I don’t think it’s fair for them to tell us they’re going to bring it and then take it away,” she said.