Ocala's Silver Springs to become a Florida state park

Gov. Rick Scott and his Cabinet voted last week to turn Ocala’s Silver Springs Nature Theme Park into a state park.

The lease on the land will now expire Sept. 30. In the meantime, steps will be taken to clean the springs and surroundings — a $4 million effort paid by current owner Palace Entertainment.

“We believe that turning over the park to the great state of Florida is in the best long-term interests of the park, its guests, the local community and the state,” wrote Palace Entertainment's water park division vice president Mike Friscia in an email.

The plans were drafted by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection following a public meeting in December focusing on the health of the springs and the animals that live nearby.

The department will replace aged amusement park structures with environmentally friendly hiking and camping opportunities. A primary goal is to reduce nitrate runoff into the springs, which is allowing ecosystem-threatening algae growth.

A long-term plan for the park will need to be established by September 2014.

Admission prices have not yet been decided, but current park passes will be honored for their duration.

The state park system and its private concessionaires will try to use the workforce already at the park where it is a viable option, FDEP spokeswoman Jennifer Diaz wrote in an email.

However, Florida’s more than 160 state parks generally depend upon a strong volunteer base of more than 6,000 members.