Personal collections, eclectic treasures to be displayed at annual event

Potato mashers, Pre-World War II ice cream cartons and swizzle sticks.

These are some of the personal collections that will be on display during the 34th Annual Collectors Day at the Florida Museum of Natural History Saturday.

The free event, which will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., will feature about 65 hobbyists and their collections at the museum, 3215 Hull Road.

Display items will range from miniature shoes to turkey calls to a collection of classic cars parked in front of the building, said Paul Ramey, assistant director of marketing and public relations for the museum.

He said he has seen his share of unusual items during the years.

One time, he said, a collector brought about 20 heavy antique boat motors to the event.

“It definitely was not an easy thing to transfer,” he said.

The event attracts collecting enthusiasts and history buffs from across the southeast U.S.

Some collectors have attended the event for about 20 years, and their interaction is what keeps the event thriving, Ramey said.

“They enjoy talking to other people interested in the same things and answering questions,” he said.