Florida sees rise in drug overdose deaths

Drug-related deaths increased in Florida during 2011, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention press release published last week. But since 1999, the numbers have continued to increase.

From January 2011 to June 2011, 4,329 drug overdose deaths were reported in Florida — a 4 percent increase from 2010, according to the Medical Examiners Commission Interim Drug Report.

A large portion of the overdoses in recent years are related to the use of opioids found in many prescription drugs, said Barry Setlow, a UF associate professor of psychology and neuroscience.

“Opioids are more widely available and more widely prescribed,” he said.

Setlow said many drug users don’t realize prescription drugs can be deadly.

“Because they are prescription drugs, they are perceived as being more safe opposed to heroin,” he said.

William, who didn’t want to give his full name, is a recovering drug addict and a public relations specialist for Narcotics Anonymous in Gainesville.

He said he’s seen a recent increase in meeting attendance, adding that the support group’s population is also getting younger.

“There are a lot more people in their 20s and 30s than there used to be,” he said.

Setlow said prescription drug education and awareness could help prevent future overdose and abusers.

“Just because it came from mom or dad’s medicine cabinet does not mean it’s perfectly safe,” he said. “These things can kill you.”