Keep the heart fond miles apart with technology

When most people get to college they get caught up in the multitude of opportunities, academic and romantic alike. Unless a student comes into college already in a committed relationship, most of us just want to explore casual dating or even casual sex.

Once that gets old after a few semesters and we meet someone special, we are faced with the fact that most people in college are from another city or another state. What is a couple to do when Christmas or summer break separate them? Family obligations, internships or even studying abroad can take its toll on a relationship. Here are a few suggestions on how to keep the flame burning:

Snap Chat

Sometimes sending your significant other a snapshot of what you’re doing or a silly picture of your face can make them feel better when you are apart. I don’t usually fish for compliments, but when I think my makeup has come out perfect and my hair is frizz-free for once, I like to take a “selfie” and snap chat it to my man. It says that even though he isn’t around, I’m still trying to look good for him.

Skype

Video chatting is an obvious choice when dealing with distance because it allows you to see and speak to someone. Sometimes it is difficult to arrange a “skype date” because of conflicting schedules, but making time for face-to-face communication is key to staying connected despite being miles away. Skyping at least once a week for just half an hour can really set a person at ease.

Twitter

Everyone hates reading a subtweet about someone’s boyfriend when they’re fighting. Be careful with tweeting about how much you miss someone is just going to make you lose followers. Keep the Taylor Swift lyrics off your twitter, but don’t be afraid to occasionally give your boyfriend or girlfriend a shout out to tell them how awesome they are. Again, be careful with this one. Twitter is public and public affection can go from charming to annoying fast. Less is more.

Texting and Calling

No one should expect you to call them every night. Follow the Skype rule and try to have a short phone call once or twice a week when you have nothing else going on and you just feel like saying hello. Texting takes such little effort that sending at least one text a day isn’t too much to ask for. It can be very reassuring. Be mindful of blowing each other up. It is easy to accidentally ignore someone when they’re miles away, so chill out with the double or triple texting.