Twitter superhero lets criminals shine online

He’s tried to use a taco as identification, threatened to kill the president on Facebook and when his cat was denied entrance to a strip club, he dialed 911.

He is the Florida Man, the world’s worst superhero, hailing from “Everywhere, FL.” He first appeared on Twitter on Feb. 2 as @_FloridaMan, an account that chronicles real headlines from around the state featuring the Florida criminals.

As of Wednesday night, the account had about 50,000 followers. @_FloridaMan did not respond to a tweet for comment.

Bruce Floyd, UF social media specialist, said the account is likely not run by one person but by an aggregator, a program that collects specific types of information — in this case, weird news from Florida.

Floyd follows the account on his personal Twitter.

“I think certain posts of people doing ridiculous things can be funny, certainly,” he said.

Hadar Arazi was introduced to the Florida Man on Tuesday when somebody she follows retweeted one of the posts on the account.

The 18-year-old UF political science freshman said she found it interesting people pick weird news from Florida more often than from other states.

Floyd said most news sites have a place for news that’s strange.

“I think it’s painting with a broad brush to say that Florida is the only state with dumb criminals,” he said.