One year ago, Donna Rudnicki used to drive everywhere. But after Rudnicki learned more about the effects of pollution on the environment, she decided to switch from four wheels to two.

The 21-year-old UF English junior now commutes via bicycle.

Rudnicki will be among the hundreds of students who will participate in the UF Office of Sustainability’s Under One Umbrella campaign, which starts today.

“UF, overall, has a goal of being carbon neutral by 2025 and to produce zero waste by 2016,” said Michael Amish, a program assistant in the UF Office of Sustainability.

This campaign focuses on sustainability-related activities on campus and in the community to encourage students, faculty and Gainesville residents to learn how the various components of sustainability interact, according the office’s website.

Amish said the office is excited to use this campaign to reach out to partners across campus and connect with students about the importance of creating a sustainable university.

The initiative features five components of ideal sustainability — food, water, service, waste and energy — while focusing on how their interdependence is necessary to achieve a sustainable way of life on campus.

Carla Etheridge, intern for the Office of Sustainability, said it is an open campaign.

“People can submit their ideas for events throughout the duration of the campaign,” she said.

Under One Umbrella launched this morning with the Farm to Table, Bike to Breakfast event at Gator Corner Dining Center.

Other events throughout the campaign include a screening of “The Clean Bin Project” in partnership with the Florida Museum of Natural History. There will also be a Campus Earth Day celebration during which UF President Bernie Machen will give his State of Sustainability address and the presentation of the Champions for Change Awards.

The campaign ends April 24 with a campuswide collection day for household hazardous waste and other items.