Valentine’s pet adoptions spread love

The Alachua County Animal Services wanted its furry friends to find love in time for Valentine’s Day.

Residents gathered at the shelter’s headquarters to look among 40 cats and dogs for a new friend during the “Valentine Tails” adoption event Saturday afternoon.

Hilary Hynes, public education program coordinator for Alachua County Animal Services, said the shelter often sees a higher rate of pet adoptions the week leading up to Valentine’s Day.

“We always like to offer an opportunity around Valentine’s Day,” she said. “This is unconditional love for all the right reasons.”

The event featured a bake sale, food raffles and a silent auction, with all the proceeds going to the shelter.

One happy new pair was Charles “Charlie” Williams and his one-year-old cat, Ace. Williams said he was happy with his new friend and called Ace a good fit for his household.

“I haven’t had animals in years, but I like him,” he said.

When Williams filled out the final adoption paperwork and was ready to leave the shelter, volunteers rang a cowbell and cheered for Ace and his new owner.

Hynes said she loves when people visit the shelter. Her ultimate goal, she said, is always adoption.

“Falling in love is awesome because it’s for a lifetime,” she said. “You can tell them anything. They’re going to keep your secrets.”