The staple of an American diet: wheat. Think about what you’ve eaten thus far and chances are wheat ingredients were in every dish. Ad campaigns like Cheerios, Fiber One and Total pride their products on wheat’s vital source for fiber needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

However, the gluten-free diet among the media and celebrities has been trending recently in the last year, and experts say this fad won’t be dissipating any time in the near future.

To clarify what gluten actually is, the Celiac Disease Foundation defines gluten as a name for the sticky substance in proteins found in common grains such as wheat, barley, rye and processed foods. Gluten creates the rising of dough in bread and is often added to prepared foods as a thickening agent.

About a third of U.S. adults are saying they want to reduce or eliminate gluten in their diets According to the NPD Group, a consumer market research company. This is the highest level since NPD began questioning in 2009.

Because there are several types of diagnoses with gluten, the topic is very controversial within the medical and health industries. The main gluten conditions are Celiac disease, wheat allergy, and the most common — gluten intolerance.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents absorption from parts of food needed for staying healthy, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Celiac disease and wheat allergy can be diagnosed with blood tests.

Conversely, gluten intolerance can only be tested through elimination from your diet, which makes diagnoses subjective and primarily based on individual observation.

Common symptoms associated with gluten intolerance include bloating, bowel irregularity and mental fogginess. Seeing changes in these areas may take one-to-two weeks. If you see improvement in your digestive system and mental clarity, you may want to consider removing gluten as a staple food from your diet or altogether.

Gluten can be found in high-glycemic foods that create blood sugar irregularities, eventually leading to weight gain. It is highly inflammatory and correlates to acne, eczema and joint inflammation. Gluten also has high levels of phytates, which decrease nutrient absorption in the body.

Those who are convinced or at least intrigued by a gluten-free lifestyle should be aware of the gluten misconception: substitution versus elimination.

“People often gain weight when they go on a gluten-free diet, particularly if they substitute products that are higher in calories, fat and sugar,” said registered dietitian Judi Adams, president of the Wheat Foods Council, from the USA Today.

Many groceries, restaurants and on-campus stores offer a variety of options for gluten-free people. However, substituting wheat products with gluten-free grains can often be even more caloric. If your goal is to lose weight or simply eat healthier, opt for fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and lean meats. Aim for your food to be as close to its natural state as possible.

Healthy alternatives for getting the USDA’s dietary fiber recommendations are almonds, flax seeds, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, soy nuts, wild rice, quinoa, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, peanut butter, peas, pinto beans, artichoke, broccoli, apples, prunes and oranges.

If you believe removing gluten from your diet can improve your mental and physical well-being, eliminate it and monitor changes in your energy levels, alertness, and digestion.

Here is a list of other foods that can contain gluten:

• Brown rice syrup

• Breading & coating mixes

• Croutons

• Energy Bars

• Flour or cereal products

• Imitation bacon

• Imitation seafood

• Marinades

• Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

• Pastas

• Processed luncheon meats

• Sauces, gravies

• Self-basting poultry

• Soy sauce or soy sauce solids

• Soup bases

• Stuffings, dressing

• Thickeners (Roux)

• Communion wafers

• Herbal supplements

• Drugs & over-the-counter medications

• Nutritional supplements

• Vitamins & mineral supplements

For more information about a gluten-free lifestyle visit www.celiac.org.