A guide to creating an interesting résumé

Due to the current competitive job market, many students are told that they must set themselves apart in order to get ahead. We are constantly told to gain as much experience as possible, to tailor our résumés to the position we want and subject ourselves to countless resume writing workshops and critiques.

Perhaps it isn’t all about having a one-page resume in 12 point, Times New Roman font without name in big, bold letters at the top. Some students might want to consider taking the format of their résumé to the next level, really setting themselves apart from the herd of job seekers while showcasing their skills. Here are some ideas for presenting your résumé with a creative edge:

Stop Motion:

Turning your résumé into a stop motion video shows that you are creative, artistic and adept with working video editing software. It may be time consuming, but the results are worth the effort. Check out this example of a University of Central Florida student’s stop motion resume:

Infographic:

The infographic also showcases your creativity and design skills. Making a visually powerful résumé will catch the eye of a hiring manager.

Infographic

Personal Website:

The digital age has made the paper résumé is fast becoming a thing of the past, even emailing a word document is a tired method of getting your résumé out to employers. Coding your own website really gives you a chance to add personality to your résumé, giving potential employers a greater sense of who you are while making a most lasting impression. If a hiring manager is up to date with the latest iPhone technology, you might consider creating a QR code that will bring anyone who scans it your personal website.

website

Photos courtesy (top to bottom) of creattica.com and webguru-india.com