Dealing with stress can make or break you when it comes to handling a heavy workload. Studies suggest people tend to reach for foods that make tensions worse when under pressure.

“When they’re stressed, people go naturally to the wrong foods because they increase levels of [the stress hormone] cortisol,” Heather Bauer, R.D., founder of Bestowed.com told The Huffington Post.

“People tend to crave foods that are high in fat, sugar and salt because those directly increase our cortisol levels,” Bauer said.

There are easy practices and a variety of foods that can mediate high levels of stress and keep you focused on task at hand. A great way to combat stress midday is with a few yoga moves, 20-minute power nap, a quick run or even a walk.

Cognitive neuropsychologist Dr. David Lewis told The Telegraph that reading, as well as listening to music or settling down with a cup of tea can calm frazzled nerves, recent research found.

Lewis said reading worked best, from the study, reducing stress levels by 68 percent. The subjects read silently for six minutes to ease tension. All subjects lowered their stress levels within the six-minute period.

Taking a half-hour break to de-stress can benefit you in the long run, when it comes to finishing strong. However, often deadlines and exams are just around the corner, and the easiest and equally effective ways to calm nerves are with superfoods.

Superfoods, nutrient-rich foods, such as oranges, sweet potatoes, almonds, walnuts, spinach, avocados, spinach, salmon and turkey fuel your body to work in optimum condition for not-so-great circumstances.

According to a German study in “Psychopharmacy” in Marie Claire found that Vitamin C helps with handling stress and returning cortisol levels back to normal.

Sweet potatoes satisfy the need for carbohydrates and sweets, while still providing your body with plenty of beta-carotene, other vitamins and fiber, which helps your body process the carbohydrates in steady and slowly.

Almonds are full of B and E vitamins. Pistachios help to lower blood pressure.

Turkey contains an amino acid called L-tryptophan, which triggers the release of serotonin- a relaxer brain chemical.

Headaches and fatigue can be a result of a magnesium deficiency. Spinach contains over 40 percent of your daily recommended magnesium.

Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids that keep stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline from peaking, according to a study from “Diabetes and Metabolism.”

The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute reports that one of the best ways to lower blood pressure is to consume enough potassium. Avocados contain more potassium than bananas and high amounts of monounsaturated fats.

Green vegetables like broccoli, kale and other dark green vegetables are loaded with vitamins that help replenish the body in times of stress.

Stress is apart of every day life. Learning to manage the nerves under pressure can help you excel in your performance. The next time you’re stressing, what will it be — a bag of Cheetos or a handful of walnuts?