Local bars preparing to get lucky

St. Patrick’s Day may fall on Sunday this year, but green tinsel and shamrocks can already be spotted around Gainesville. Local bars and restaurants are finalizing orders, hanging decorations and adding last-minute preparations for the Irish-themed holiday.

Nicholas Smith, general manager of The Swamp Restaurant, said he feels his staff will be able to handle waves of green-colored customers.

“It being on the weekend is definitely going to be busier than if it fell during the week,” he said.

At Mother’s Pub & Grill, owner Patrick Schaller plans to start pouring the green beer early Sunday by opening his bar at 7 a.m.

“We started opening early last year for the first time,” he said. “We’ll be doing that as a tradition from now on. We had about 15 people waiting for me to unlock the door last year, and as soon as I did, it grew to 40 or 50 people.”

Gator City Sports Grill and Grog House Bar & Grill have also begun preparing for the big day by stocking up on alcohol.

Jonathan Gold, Gator City general manager, said his bar ordered seven additional cases of Jameson Irish Whiskey. Meanwhile at the Grog House, general manager Patrick Smith said his bar ordered almost three times as much beer and liquor as usual.

He plans to open his doors at 4 p.m. in honor of the holiday.

“We’re putting most of our focus on Sunday,” he said. “But we know the whole weekend will be festive.”