Mayor Craig Lowe says his campaign will continue after DUI arrest

Despite his Thursday driving under the influence arrest — less than a month before the Gainesville mayoral runoff election — Mayor Craig Lowe’s campaign for re-election will continue as planned.

On Friday afternoon, Lowe, 55, issued a statement assuring residents and supporters that he will remain on the ballot.

“Over the next few days and weeks, I will continue to perform my duties as Mayor and work hard as a candidate for re-election,” he said in a prepared statement.

Lowe had released a previous statement saying he would not be found guilty in the case. However, in Friday’s statement, Lowe accepted responsibility and said the situation was a legal and personal issue.

“I regret that my actions Thursday morning have disappointed so many friends, supporters, and citizens of Gainesville,” he said. “I hope that in the future I will again prove worthy of the public’s trust and confidence.”

Lowe is scheduled to run off against former city commissioner and mayoral candidate Ed Braddy on April 16.

Nick Mildebrath, Lowe’s campaign manager, declined to comment Sunday.

The Florida Highway Patrol arrested Lowe at 5:26 a.m. Thursday near the intersection of Northeast 21st Street and Northeast 156th Avenue. Lowe performed poorly on his field sobriety test and was later booked into the Alachua County Jail. He was released later that afternoon on his own recognizance.

Lowe is scheduled to reappear in court for his arraignment April 11.

“I will accept the consequences of my actions and face the sanctions that are deemed appropriate,” he said.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org. Contact Kelcee Griffis at kgriffis@alligator.org.