A crash in northeast Gainesville involving a motorcyclist and a school bus sent one man to the hospital Monday afternoon.

The accident happened at about 2 p.m. at Northeast 23rd Avenue and Northeast 12th Street, said Gainesville Police Sgt. Michael Douglas.

Douglas said a motorcyclist, whose name wasn’t released, was traveling east on Northeast 23rd Avenue when he collided with an Alachua County school bus traveling north on Northeast 12th Street. The reason for the crash was under investigation, Douglas said.

Emergency officials took the man to Shands at UF. Douglas said the man was in “critical but stable condition” when he left for the hospital.

Ten children were on the bus, Douglas said. They and the bus driver were not injured.

A neighbor, who didn’t want to be identified, saw the accident. He said the motorcyclist, who didn’t have a chance to slow down, hit the bus at full speed. The neighbor said the intersection is a problematic blind spot for drivers.

Getting a clear view of eastbound traffic requires nearly pulling into the road, he said. In the last two and a half years, he’s seen three accidents at the intersection.

Contact Kelcee Griffis at kgriffis@alligator.org.