UF students will now be able to access The New York Times online.

The Times changed its readership program, and UF students can receive a 24-hour pass to access the website and smartphone application, according to an email from The Times.

The passes are equivalent to a copy of a newspaper.

After the 24-hour period, the passes become available for a new user. To access them, anyone with a Webmail email can go to https://myaccount.nytimes.com/edupass/claim to register and verify his or her email before accepting the pass.

UF receives 450 passes because that’s how many copies of the newspaper it gets each day, said UF Action SG Chairman Sean Quinn.

The 20-year-old UF public relations and political science junior said the new online access is not costing Student Government any extra money.

According to its budget, SG paid $40,000 in the 2012-2013 year to have USA Today and The Times on campus.

Meg Wagner, president of UF’s chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, said she thinks the new online program is a good idea because more students are getting their news online.

“I grew up holding a newspaper, and even I’ve gone digital in the past few years,” said the 21-year-old UF journalism senior.

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.