Shakespeare, boring? Nay, ‘Hamlet’ will rocketh the plaza

Spray paint, switchblades and Shakespeare.

That’s how Rylee Ennis, co-director of UF’s Shakespeare in the Park, describes the group’s adaptation of “Hamlet,” which will be performed through Sunday.

In UF’s punk-rock version, Hamlet’s relationship with his girlfriend, Ophelia, is based on the “toxic” relationship between punk-rock bassist Sid Vicious, of the Sex Pistols, and his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen.

The free show will be performed at 6 p.m. through Saturday and at 4 p.m. Sunday on the Plaza of the Americas. If it rains, the play will move under the covering in front of Library West.

UF Shakespeare in the Park President Leah Gidwani suggested people bring blankets, snacks and friends to the performance.

Gidwani, a 21-year-old UF marketing and international business senior, said about 620 people attended last Spring.

Patrick Runfeldt, a 21-year-old UF English junior, is the co-director for the show.

This adaptation of “Hamlet” has been his pet project for about a year.

“I think seeing it on stage is one of the best ways to see it,” he said. “The page doesn’t compare.”

Gidwani suggested people get to the performance early.

“To be, or not to be? It’s not even a question,” she said. “You should be at Shakespeare in the Park at the plaza this weekend.”