‘Veronica Mars’ fans kickstart film into action

In case you’ve been hiding under a rock, “Veronica Mars,” America’s all-time favorite teenage private eye, is headed to the big screen.

The sassy blond detective from the cult TV show, played by Kristen Bell, will soon return to a theater near you thanks to creator Rob Thomas and millions of dollars of fans’ donations.

Thomas, along with Bell and her co-stars, launched a Kickstarter campaign on March 13 with a goal to raise $2 million in the hopes of bringing the popular show, which was canceled after three seasons, back from the dead.

Within a matter of hours, Thomas’ dream became a reality: Warner Bros. gave the project a greenlight.

Now, the Mars troupe has raised more than $4 million from more than 61,000 donors with 15 days left in the campaign. The gang just opened its Kickstarter page to fans across the globe in Italy, Australia, the United Kingdom and more.

If the “Veronica Mars” movie couldn’t get any cooler, donors can own a part of the film before it’s released. Donors are sent either a T-shirt, a copy of the official script or a downloadable theatrical version of the movie, depending on how much they pledge to the campaign.

I don’t know about you, but I’m absolutely pumped for this movie. Veronica Mars was, like, my hero. She’s spunky, smart and super cute. Plus, she was the only character on TV who understood my angsty teenage ways.

You better believe I’m ready for this — I’ve already donated, and now I’m (im)patiently awaiting the film’s summer 2014 release. Get excited, marshmallows.