Alachua County Sheriff’s Office releases additional video of Mayor Craig Lowe’s DUI arrest

Craig Lowe speaking with two Alachua County Sheriff's Office Deputies (offscreen), prior to his DUI test and arrest.

Authorities have released additional video from the night of Gainesville Mayor Craig Lowe’s March 21 driving under the influence arrest.

The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office issued a dashboard camera video from the time when deputies arrived at the crash scene, located at the intersection of Northeast 156th Avenue and Northeast 21st Street, at about 3 a.m.

In the video, Lowe gets out of his car and explains to a male and female deputy that he struck a ditch and hit a road sign.

Lowe told them he drank three beers earlier that night.

“I can tell by your eyes you’ve had a lot more than three beers,” the female deputy said. “It doesn’t really matter the amount that you’ve had now because when we came up to you, you were not operating the motor vehicle.”

She goes on to say, “We could go a whole other route with that, but because of the job you have, we’re not going to.”

State Attorney Bill Cervone wrote in a statement that Lowe was treated the same as anyone else.

“Any suggestion the contrary is unfounded,” he wrote.

Contact Kathryn Varn at kvarn@alligator.org.