After about three years spaying and neutering cats and dogs, Sandi Richmond said her organization is nearing a milestone.

No More Homeless Pets, which offers discounted spaying and neutering, is approaching its 15,000th surgery. It began tallying when the organization started in late 2009.

Richmond said she expects the organization to reach the goal no later than April 16.

Spaying and neutering helps reduce the county’s animal population, she said, and it lowers the number of animals that are euthanized.

In February 2012, Richmond said, Alachua County Animal Services euthanized 438 animals. This February, it euthanized 25.

Honey Langford, a 34-year-old Santa Fe College business supervision and management senior who volunteers at the clinic, said she was surprised by the statistics.

“If you just step back and think about that for a second, that is just a phenomenal number of animals to be able to spay and neuter,” she said.

Other factors that influenced the dropped rate include animal rescue groups and the Hope Fund, which launched in February, Richmond said.

“Pets are expensive,” Richmond said. “In order to do the right thing and to save lives, even at our low rate, it’s sometimes very difficult for people.”

Contact Kelcee Griffis at kgriffis@alligator.org.