Haile Village Bistro: Breakfast doesn’t stack up to atmosphere

Pancakes
Pancakes

While on the hunt for my next Gainesville dining experience, I came across the Haile Village Bistro. With four out of five starts on Yelp, I had high hopes that the Bistro would be my next hidden gem discovery. But while the Haile ambience delivered, the food came up short.

Located just a block from the Sisters restaurant, Haile Village Bistro displays the Village charm. With a long porch of outdoor seating, you can enjoy Gainesville’s spring weather and, on Saturdays, watch the farmers market just down the street. Connected to the Queen’s Arms Pub, which is run by the same owners, Bistro is dotted with British-themed décor, including a life-size suit of armor and numerous British flags.

Haile Village Bistro is touted as a Mediterranean-style eatery with a hint of Persian influence. This may be the case for their dinner menu, but my breakfast had American written all over it. Serving typical American dishes like eggs benedict, omelets, pancakes and waffles, there was nothing European about this breakfast menu. With little flavor, the food was lackluster at best, but fortunately the low prices helped ease the pain. Diners can order a pancake, waffle or French toast combo, which is served with two eggs, bacon/sausage, and hash browns/grits, for just $8.95. The eggs and cheese wrap will cost you just $3.95, while an omelet runs from $7.59 to $8.95.

However, it seems that the dinner menu may be where Bistro’s cultural influences shine. Dinner items such as tabbouli ($7), swordfish kabobs ($14), bangers and mash ($9), and fish and chips ($12) make me think that perhaps breakfast wasn’t the best way to see the true colors of Bistro. This one calls for a return visit.

At A Glance Details:

Events: Tuesday Trivia @ Queen’s Arms Pub (adjacent)

Hours:

• Breakfast

Monday — Friday: 7 a.m. — 11 a.m.

Saturday & Sunday: 7 a.m. — 1 p.m.

• Lunch

Daily from 11 a.m. — 5 p.m.

• Dinner

Sunday — Thursday 5 p.m. — 9:30 p.m.

Friday & Saturday: 5 p.m. — 10:30 p.m.

Location: Haile Village (5323 SW 91st Terrace, Gainesville, FL 32608)

Website: http://www.hailevillagebistro.com/