UF’s Institute of Black Culture hosted an interest meeting Tuesday for Blueprint, a self-development program that will start this Fall for first- and second-year black male students.

The program was inspired by the MTV show “From G’s to Gents” which featured misguided young men in a competition to become respectable gentlemen.

“It started with the question, ‘If I can make the perfect UF student, what traits and qualities would this student have?’” said Vee Smith, the institute and program’s director.

About 10 students will be selected for the opportunity to advance their professional and social lives through personalized etiquette, dress, academic and job preparation guidance. Blueprint will meet for three hours each week for sessions consisting of a combination of lectures and interactive activities, Smith said.

“Some [programs] only cover academics or maybe just your social side,” Smith said. “This combines everything and provides personal attention to each participant.”

Students will have the opportunity to network and learn from professionals throughout the semester. Upon completion of the program, students will receive a business suit and photo shoot. The most improved will receive a $1,000 scholarship.

Alex Montano said he’s most interested in the etiquette and future professionalism aspects of the program.

“I believe there is always room for improvement,” said the 20-year-old UF electrical engineering sophomore.

Smith has led a similar program at the University of Kentucky since 2008 and said the rewards go beyond the program’s rigorous few months.

Mirland Terlonge and Tahiri Jean-Baptiste, two student ambassadors at the institute, helped tailor the program to UF’s campus and students.

“The main concern for young people in general is the pace of society,” said Jean-Baptiste, a 20-year-old UF English and anthropology junior. “It’s so much faster today than it was 20 to 30 years ago.”

Terlonge said media perpetuates the image of “the aggressive, hypermasculine man.”

“This program says ‘I can make it, and I don’t have to succumb to any ideas of failure, because I can be whatever it is I can be,’” said the 21-year-old UF art senior.

Interviews for spots in the program will be April 11 and 12.