UF doesn’t make the grade on global health impact report card

A first-of-its-kind report gave UF a “D” Thursday for its innovation, empowerment and access for global health impact. Out of 54 universities ranked, UF placed 50th.

Universities Allied for Essential Medicines, an organization comprised of student chapters from around the world, gave out the grade. The University Global Health Impact report card was created to assess social responsibility when it comes to research and its commercialization at universities.

Sandy Chiu, a 27-year-old UF second year law student, is trying to re-establish the UF chapter of the organization, which disappeared in 2009.

“At our university, we have the potential to shape and impact the world,” she said. “But we are limiting ourselves.”

Chiu said she believes making UF’s innovations accessible to high-, middle- and low-income countries is possible and profitable, but “it will take some extra work.”

Jeffrey Keaffaber, a retiring UF chemistry lecturer and undergraduate coordinator, said he hopes to see more global accessibility for innovations from universities.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said the university has room for improvement, but it is in good company.