Uncommon major 4: Research, scholarships and creepy-crawlies

If you are thinking about a science major but don’t know where to start, you might have come to the right place.

Pull out your magnifying glass and get ready to hit the dirt because the entomology and nematology major just might be for you.

“Seventy-five percent of the creatures on the earth are arthropods [insects], so it’s important for us to get to know about the creatures that live so close to us,” said Rebecca Baldwin, who serves as the undergraduate advisor for the department.

The opportunities to explore those creatures are seemingly endless.

The major has six degree tracks. Many students follow the pre-professional or basic science tracks to prepare for grad school. Past graduates have since graduated to medical or vet school, while others have moved on to law programs.

Another popular focus is biosecurity. Students from the program now work for the USDA, the EPA and even homeland security to prevent biological threats.

Other focuses include ecotourism and urban pest management. These programs specifically benefit from Florida’s, well, bug tendency, and often receive scholarship and internship opportunities.

If that doesn’t sound fun yet, listen to this: past graduating classes in the entomology department have seen 97 percent of students either get jobs or go on to graduate school.

Ultimately, the entomology degree is a research degree. Previous students have been published in research journals before they even see their diploma; their projects include invasive ant studies, bed bug prevention and methods of disease transition through insects.

Students have traveled to Greece, Mexico and Honduras to further their studies. In Honduras, for example, the ecotourism department worked to develop entertainment such as insect watches. Now I know what you’re thinking: that sounds gross. But this was not your average worm watch or caterpillar crawl, but rather native butterfly tours. Much better, right?

Entomology majors also stay involved in the community. Specifically, the entomology club aims to teach the public about different insects through events such as BugFest — a showcase featuring both the department and its focus through question and answer sessions as well as an arthropod petting zoo.

Baldwin estimates that the organization reaches about 100,000 people per year through their programs.

If the study of bugs and insects sounds like a great way to spend your undergraduate career, the first thing to do is check out the department’s lobby in Steinmetz Hall. Visitors can view yellow jacket nests and tarantulas as well as experience the effect of black lights on scorpion exoskeletons (now you have to go!).

Baldwin also suggests that underclassmen take one of the general education classes that the department offers – both bugs and people (ENY 1001) and the insects (ENY 2040) can count towards biology credit hours.

For upperclassmen, Baldwin recommends principles of entomology (ENY 3005) to get a jumpstart on the program.

Not grossed out by the cockroach in your dorm? This major could be your perfect fit. Click here for more information.