A shady lady’s history of today’s top sunglasses trends

The sky is clear, the sun is out, and it’s so beautiful outside that Mr. Rogers must be in the immediate vicinity singing about it. But you can’t appreciate any of it because you forgot your sunglasses. Again. And that can really ruin your entire day.

Sure, it could have been a careless mistake.

But perhaps the real culprit was your agitated subconscious, subtly rebelling against your 3-year-old hater blockers. 

It’s time for a new pair of shades, and here’s the four looks you can’t miss.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The ultimate staple in sunglass style is the aviator. The first Ray-Ban pilot’s aviators debuted almost 80 years ago, so they’ve certainly had their time in the spotlight. And trendsetting fans run the gamut from General Douglas MacArthur and Queen’s Freddy Mercury to Paul McCartney, Johnny Knoxville and Sylvester Stallone. If you want effortless cool, aviators are the way to go!

Next up? The wayfarer – the younger, more “edgy” Ray-Ban sibling to the aviator at nearly 60 years old. Slipping on the stunning shades evokes images of Tom Cruise sliding sock-footed across a floor, or rocking rebels Madonna and Debby Harry crooning their hearts out. And don’t forget “The Boss,” Bruce Springsteen, or that little vampire Edward Cullen, who moodily brooded behind his wayfarers at Forks High School.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If pushing the fashion envelope is more your scene, ditch the safety of the classics, and check out the retro round style. Popular in the 1920s and 1960s, the circular lenses can leave you feeling as magical as Harry Potter or as groovy as John Lennon. The trick is all in the size! Oversize frames may have more of an owl effect than desired, so be sure to know the right size if you pick up a pair online.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And last but not least, the fourth trending sunglasses look for summer is the cat-eye. Cast yourself back into Hollywood’s glamorous heyday – or just steal a page from the equally good-looking (but much more recent) books of Scarlett Johansson, Miranda Kerr or New York socialite Olivia Palmero, three cat-eye lens lovers. Whether tortoise shell, black-on-black or color-blocked, it’s pretty hard to mess up this ultra chic look.

So cast off the frames of your past and embrace your vibrant new future! After all, your future’s so bright, you really do need sunglasses.