After several complaints from residents, Gainesville Police launched a criminal investigation of the city-contracted Advantage Towing Company earlier this month.

Officer Jeff McAdams, Gainesville Police’s towing administrator, said the investigation is ongoing. Three complaints that all pointed back to Advantage Towing Company sparked the investigation, he said. Two complaints involved scooters that residents reported as stolen to GPD, he said, and the other complaint involved a car belonging to used car dealer Southeast Car Agency.

The car “somehow ended up on Advantage’s lot after being towed,” McAdams said. He said the company, owned by Susan C. Forron, has operated in Gainesville under different names for more than 20 years. 

Police searched the office for evidence of improper lien or title transfer, improper or illegal tow and grand theft auto. The company previously faced scrutiny when 10 separate cases were filed April 18 against Forron for violating “prerequisites to towing vehicles parked on private property.” She is set to appear before a judge on noncriminal infractions May 30.

City Manager Russ Blackburn said the company could face consequences pending the results of the investigation.

“The city’s ordinance would require sanctions for either of the events if deemed a violation of the ordinance,” he wrote in an email. “At the conclusion of the investigations, staff will take action based upon the results.”

A call to Forron was not returned.

Contact Kelcee Griffis at kgriffis@alligator.org.