The question posed in the title of a Tuesday opinion column, “Should you be able to wear black face?” seemed fairly simple and not up for debate as the answer should have been an obvious “absolutely never.” But apparently that wasn’t the case after reading the article.

There is something problematic with the liberal idea that racist and oppressive acts should go unsanctioned because of precious civil liberties and individual rights. Whether you’re wearing blackface, leading a neo-Nazi march or any other white supremacist event, the idea that somehow you should be given the space simply because of “freedom of speech” and the “right to assemble” is an asinine one.

Oppressive acts that intentionally target oppressed groups on campus shouldn’t be endorsed, and even if the university is constitutionally unable to sanction individuals for racist acts, in rhetoric, these acts should be denounced.

By simply saying that freedom of speech allows for students to don blackface or advocate for Nazism on Turlington if they choose to show the lack of awareness of the sensitivities of non-white students on campus.

Individuals who safe within the construct of whiteness have the ability to be seen as individuals and aren’t inundated with images throughout their whole life of their race being demonized and satirized for entertainment.

So it’s not surprising that those removed can come from the neutral standpoint that “even if what you’re saying is bigoted I support your right to say it.” My opinion on the matter is that not only will I denounce racist acts but I refuse to be liberal and support your right to denigrate my race.

And for the writer of the column to say that students on campus took the conversation in the wrong direction is laughable.

You can don blackface and use the n-word when institutionalized racism isn’t still a present thing affecting black people. Until then, I don’t give a s--- about your freedom of speech, which only seeks to slander me.