Guy Harvey is well known for his marine life art, popular with fishermen and fishermen wannabes. Perhaps less well known is his philanthropy and outreach arm, the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation.

Last week, two students from UF Levin College of Law, Caitlin Pomerance and Alexis Segal, jointly won a Guy Harvey Scholarship worth $5,000 for their work on marine management in the Bahamas.

Pomerance, 23, said she grew up near the water and attended the University of Miami as an undergraduate.

Pomerance and Segal’s roles are largely to create a link between locals and the people creating management plans for the Bahamas so that regulation of fisheries and other resources is effective, Pomerance said.

“This is really going to allow us to go down to the Bahamas … to meet everyone, which is crucial for long-term success in implementation,” she said.

According to the recommendation letter sent by UF Law’s Conservation Clinic Director Tom Ankersen, they will be developing and implementing a marine managed area on Long Island in the Bahamas, which is about the same straight-line distance from Miami as the closest part of the Florida-Georgia border.

They’re the third and fourth students from UF to win the award since it was first given in 2010, said Florida Sea Grant communications director Dorothy Zimmerman.

“These awards, in a very short time, have become very prestigious,” she said.

The other two UF students both received a scholarship last year.

Contact Matt Riva at mriva@alligator.org.