As young adults we need to stay on our toes about learning. Being knowledgeable can benefit you in unpredictable ways and leaves a strong impression on others. If you don’t have much time to delve into a book or finish a lengthy New York Times article every day, try documentaries.

Documentaries offer a wealth of knowledge in a new way. You can watch several titles by a famous director or make it a movie night with friends to discuss topics in different films. Here are some interesting titles to start with.

Freakonomics

This documentary is based on a book by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, which outlines how economics is not just boring numbers but is rooted in the dynamics of everyday life. The authors present basic economic terms in new ways using unique diagrams. They explain how incentives can lead anyone to cheat, like high school teachers and sumo wrestlers. They examine whether names can have an economic impact on a person’s life. This documentary sucks you in from the start and gives you a perspective on how random actions shape economics.

Supersize Me

If you don’t think obesity in America is a huge issue, this movie will change your mind. It follows Morgan Spurlock, an independent filmmaker who has taken on the challenge to eat only McDonalds for 30 days. Three squared meals a day from the food chain lead Spurlock to gain 24 lb, experiencing mood swings and sexual dysfunction, among other health issues. In the end, it took Spurlock 14 months to lose all the weight he gained in one. The film is more than just a bad trip to the McDonalds across the street, and shows how the fast-food industry profits by promoting poor nutrition.

The September Issue

Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington do not miss the opportunity to tell it like it is in this new look at the fashion world. The film follows the editor in chief and creative director of Vogue, respectively, as they put together the largest and most influential magazine issue of the year. They work with photographers, stylists and designers to make the book that sets the tone in fashion for the year. It is a must watch for anyone hoping to get anywhere near the fashion industry, and it has great lessons about working as a team, respecting your employees and getting the job done, whatever it takes.

Capitalism: A Love Story

Michael Moore takes on the head honchos of Congress to ask just how the American economy ended up where it is today and why the bubble burst. The film goes beyond analyzing the economic state of the U.S. and depicts what Jesus would be like if he was a capitalist, how real estate agencies profited from foreclosures and what regular, hard working people had to go through when the economy collapsed. There are also great bits showing really intelligent people unable to explain what’s up with the economy. If you didn’t feel the earthquake when the economy crashed, you will with this film.

As young adults we need to stay on our toes about learning. Being knowledgeable can benefit you in unpredictable ways and leaves a strong impression on others.