'Dexter' final season recap thus far

The final season of Dexter is almost halfway over already. Here are the highlights from the first four episodes.

Episode 1: A Beautiful Day

There’s yet another serial killer preying on the exceedingly vulnerable city of Miami. This creep is particularly creepy, in that he scoops out a portion of his victims’ brains. Miami Metro has absolutely no idea how to catch all of these killers at this point, so they’ve brought in famed “psychopath-whisperer”, Dr. Evelyn Vogel, to help crack the case. After sharing uncomfortable glares throughout the whole episode, the awkwardness comes to a head when Vogel corners Dexter in the precinct's parking lot. What does Vogel want, could she be on to him?

Episode 2: Every Silver Lining

Despite the tension, Dr. Vogel isn’t seeking to oust Dexter’s secret, because it turns out she helped “create” him. Vogel has assisted police for decades, and she actually knew Dexter’s father from a case they worked on together. When Dexter began to show his affection for killing as a youngster, Harry went to Vogel for help. Together, they created the code that Dexter lives his life by: never get caught, and kill only the worst of the worst criminals. Now Vogel needs Dexter’s help. A recent break-in has her worried; the only thing missing was a glass jar with a segment of human brain, sound familiar?

Episode 3: What’s Eating Dexter Morgan

Dr. Vogel isn’t after Dexter, but that doesn’t mean all is well. Debra’s life is in shambles. She gets so hammered behind the wheel that she slams into a parking meter and gets taken in for a DUI. Long after Quinn bailed her out of it, she stumbles, still drunk, into the Miami Metro precinct and tries to confess to killing LaGuerta. Debra’s so wasted that she can’t really say anything. Quinn can’t console Debra, so he calls Dexter, who comes to whisk her out of the station before she can get the words out.

Episode 4: Scar Tissue

Things with Debra are going poorly, and Dexter already has a lot on his plate looking for the “Brain Surgeon”, who may or may not be a former patient of Dr. Vogel’s. After some therapy sessions with Dr. Vogel, Debra shows up to the station looking much more like her normal self. She tells Dexter she wants time alone with him, and they decide to take a drive together. Debra isn’t interested in moving past things. She asks Dexter if their father committed suicide. When Dexter tells her yes, and reveals it was due to Harry’s immense guilt over protecting a killer, Debra snaps. She takes the wheel and jerks the car violently. They careen of the road and into a lake. Debra is saved by a good samaritan passing through, while Dexter is left unconscious in the drivers seat. Debra thinks about it for a second, and then begrudgingly dives into the water to save the brother she just tried to kill.