Dogs allowed to dine outdoors with owners downtown

For Gainesville residents and restaurant owners, the term ‘doggie bag’ could take on an entirely new meaning.

An ordinance passed in a recent commission meeting that now allows restaurants to purchase a permit so customers can dine with their dogs on outside patio areas.

The optional permit costs $250.

While dogs are allowed on patios and designated outside dining areas, pet owners are required to keep them on the leash, and animals are not allowed to pass through the inside of the restaurant.

Gainesville City Commissioner Thomas Hawkins said the process of passing the ordinance is unusual because most restaurant laws are determined by the state. This is one law the city has control over, he said.

“It is the one exception to the general rule that the state determines restaurant laws,” he said.

Hawkins said he thinks the permit is a good idea for restaurants and residents.

“I think it’s a great idea for people when they want to eat out,” he said. “For those who consider their dogs part of their family, it’s a great way to cater to them so they can include their dogs.”

Dog owner and 19-year-old athletic training junior Marissa Triassi said that by allowing pets at restaurants, she is able to include Obie, her fox-terrier puppy, in her dinner plans.

“He loves to just sit by us while we eat and hang out,” she said. “I think it’s a better option than having to leave him home every time we go out to eat.”

Additionally, the new permit option lets dogs experience different environments and have the opportunity to socialize, she said.

Ryland Wagner, general manager of Shuck Raw Bar and Seafood Restaurant, added that allowing people to bring their pets to eat with them is fun, and it could be beneficial for restaurants.

“Lots of people walk their dogs around here and want to be able to bring them,” he said. “They don’t want to leave them at home. People are close with their pets, and in the long run, that $250, over the course, would bring in that much more business.”

However, some restaurant owners are not pleased with the $250 permit.

Gabriel Garner, owner of the Jones B-Side, which has allowed pets on his restaurant’s patio in the past, said he is unsure about whether he would be willing to pay the price.

“We’ve allowed dogs on the patio for a while, and a lot of other restaurants have, too. We’ve even had a cat on a leash and a lizard,” he said. “It sounds like the City of Gainesville is just trying to make more money.”