For those of you who are interning or working at a job related to business or public relations this summer you know that participating in regular staff meetings is something one must do. During meetings the team takes time aside to discus decisions, resolve problems and present what everyone has been working on thus far.

Sure, it can be nerve-racking to present your ideas to your supervisor in front of your peers. But if you prepare before the meeting the right way then there should be no reason to have an embarrassing experience.

My first staff meeting at my current internship was on the first day. I was completely unprepared but I knew to survive I had to get my thoughts together and my points across to the rest of the team. For the second meeting I was told in advance when it would be held and was able to take advantage of some tips I learned on how to come off confident and prepared at a meeting.

The first tip is to have an objective. Make sure you know what you’re going to say when it’s time for you to communicate the status of your work. You want to be sure you have examples, notes or statistics to back up what you are presenting to your team. This will make your words and your work creditable.

Be active in the conversation.

You don’t want to just sit there and stare at the wall while everyone else is pitching in. Speak up and pay attention.

Think before you speak.

When a discussion is heating up and you want to participate and get your word in, go for it! But think about what you are going to say before you say it because you don’t want to offend or be misunderstood. 

Finally, just take notes.

When ideas are thrown out and problems are being discussed you want to be writing it all down. Go to the meeting with a pen and note pad in hand; this will show your supervisor that you are prepared and paying attention. 

A staff meeting can be an opportunity for you to shine and show off all the work you have been doing. You don’t want to waste it and come off as unprofessional just because you didn’t prepare the night before.