<p align="justify">Freshman Keanu Neal reaches for a pass during practice last Monday. Neal was rated the No. 7 safety in the 2013 recruiting class, according to Rivals.com.</p>

Freshman Keanu Neal reaches for a pass during practice last Monday. Neal was rated the No. 7 safety in the 2013 recruiting class, according to Rivals.com.

Amari Cooper torched Notre Dame for two touchdowns in Alabama’s re-christening as national champions last season. His teammate, T.J. Yeldon, added 108 yards and a touchdown against the Irish.

The southpaw quarterback immortalized in bronze outside The Swamp rushed and passed for a score in Florida’s defeat of Ohio State in 2006.

There’s a common thread between these players: Each was an impact freshman performer. With the season opener just five days away, Florida’s freshman class has turned heads on both sides of the ball. Here’s how it stacks up:

Quarterback: For Florida’s sake, neither freshman Max Staver nor redshirt freshman Skyler Mornhinweg should see the field this season. UF needs Jeff Driskel healthy for the entire season. Expect Staver to receive a redshirt.

Running back: Coach Will Muschamp listed sophomore Mark Herndon ahead of heralded freshmen Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane on the depth chart.

Florida has a potent running-back duo going forward, but it’s too early for Taylor and Lane. Muschamp said the coaching staff still hasn’t made a decision yet on how much time the freshmen will see the field. With starter Matt Jones out against Toledo and potentially Miami, one freshman back should garner carries in the early going. The other could redshirt this season.

Wide receiver: Florida has not had a dynamic passing attack in several years. If fall camp is any indication for 2013, Demarcus Robinson and Ahmad Fulwood look ready to change that.

Robinson hauled in a one-handed grab down the sideline during Florida’s open practice on Aug. 15 – one of several impressive plays from the freshman.

"Obviously we’re counting on Demarcus and Ahmad to play the receiver position for us," Muschamp said on Friday.

Local product Chris Thompson, who once ran a 4.37 40-yard dash, has worked with the offense and will factor in on special teams this year. No decision has been announced on freshmen receivers Alvin Bailey and Marqui Hawkins.

Redshirt senior Andre Debose suffered a torn left ACL on Aug. 6. Sophomore Latroy Pittman has dealt with injuries as well in camp. Junior Quinton Dunbar returns as the No. 1 receiver with 383 yards and four touchdowns in 2012. Florida will need its freshman wideouts to step up this year.

Tight end: Redshirt freshman Colin Thompson is the only first-year tight end expected to contribute on offense. He gives the Gators a blocking tight end to pair with sophomore Kent Taylor and junior starter Clay Burton.

Offensive line: Although Trenton Brown isn’t a freshman, Muschamp said the junior college transfer is the only first-year player figuring into the rotation right now. Octavius Jackson, a freshman from Moultrie, Ga., would be the next newcomer to garner reps, Muschamp said. That leaves three other true freshmen — Nick Davis, Rod Johnson and Cameron Dillard — to likely redshirt.

Defensive line: Jay-nard Bostwick, Antonio Riles and Caleb Brantley are working with the defense during scout-team periods. Decisions have not been made on redshirts yet, Muschamp said. Florida has six true freshman defensive linemen listed on its roster.

Linebackers: Florida starts the season without starting middle linebacker Antonio Morrison for at least two games. Freshmen Jarrad Davis, Alex Anzalone and Daniel McMillan will see time while Matt Rolin will redshirt after suffering a torn left ACL on Aug. 7.

Secondary: The secondary was responsible for 14 of Florida’s 20 interceptions last season. A talented defensive backfield gets more crowded with an influx of freshmen. Cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III and safeties Nick Washington and Keanu Neal are expected to play, Muschamp said. Safety Marcell Harris has been battling a knee injury he sustained prior to joining Florida. His status is uncertain.

Special teams: Junior Kyle Christy returns after a season in which he finished as a finalist for the Ray Guy Award, given to the nation’s top punter. Barring an injury to Christy, freshman punter Johnny Townsend will redshirt. Freshman kicker Danny Krysalka will redshirt with Brad Phillips and Austin Hardin fighting for the starting spot.

Follow Adam Pincus on Twitter @adamDpincus.