Muschamp reduces suspension of sophomore linebacker to one game

<p align="justify">Antonio Morrison runs through drills during a spring practice in 2012. Will Muschamp reduced Morrison’s suspension from two games to one Monday.</p>

Antonio Morrison runs through drills during a spring practice in 2012. Will Muschamp reduced Morrison’s suspension from two games to one Monday.

Will Muschamp announced Monday that linebacker Antonio Morrison (suspension) and running back Matt Jones (virus) are expected to play in Florida’s game against Miami on Sept. 7.

Muschamp reduced Morrison’s suspension from two games to one, benching the sophomore for only the season opener against Toledo due to two offseason arrests.

"I just don’t feel like his actions warranted a two-game suspension," Muschamp said.

Morrison was arrested for simple battery after punching a bouncer at a Gainesville bar on June 16 and entered in a deferred prosecution agreement. On July 21, Morrison was arrested for harassing an on-duty police dog.

The charges of his second arrest were ultimately dropped based on a lack of evidence. Also, Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell stated that officers should have merely warned Morrison after the 19-year-old barked at a police dog.

"He’s very remorseful about the whole situation, and we’ve moved forward," Muschamp said. "Guys make mistakes and have poor judgment at times. I’m just disappointed with how the entire night was handled."

Jones, meanwhile, is running, cutting and lifting in an effort to return to action. Florida’s No. 1 running back had more blood work done on Monday. Assuming Jones does not suffer any setbacks, he is on track to play when the Gators travel to South Florida.

"We haven’t put pads on him yet, and he hasn’t been out in the heat yet," Muschamp said.

"He has been in the heat as far as running is concerned, but you know they’re just worried about a relapse from a standpoint of coming back too early, and we’re waiting on the blood work to get back today. I’ll know more [Tuesday] or later [Monday]."

Morrison and Jones both enjoyed breakout seasons as freshmen in 2012.

While Jelani Jenkins battled through an injury-plagued season, Morrison became a key contributor at linebacker. The Bolingbrook, Ill., native ranks third among returning Gators with 34 tackles in 2012, and he was the only freshman to force a fumble.

That forced fumble came on a game-changing hit by Morrison on FSU quarterback EJ Manuel in Florida’s 37-26 win against Florida State on Nov. 24 in Tallahassee.

The victory against the Seminoles was also a showcase for Jones, who rushed for 81 yards and a touchdown on eight carries during the rivalry game. The performance was an exclamation point on a year during which the Seffner native averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

Considering the talent both sophomores offer, their teammates were happy to learn of each player’s scheduled return.

"He’s a guy that’s really passionate about this game," linebacker Ronald Powell said of Morrison. "He loves the game. That’s probably why he’s suspended — because coach knows he loves the game so much, and he has to step in and give some consequences. But once it’s all over, it’s going to be good to see a teammate that loves the sport as much as he does, and loves being around his teammates as much as he does, to be back out there."

Said Dante Fowler Jr. of Jones: "He’s been working through it, been grinding through it. I know what he had was very, very bad. He’s always in rehab, always asking the trainers, ‘What can I do to get better?’ I know he wants to come back really, really fast. I just hope he gets here so I can see him play."

Follow Joe Morgan on Twitter @joe_morgan.