Monday, April 29, 2024

The controversy that surrounded Lindsay Lohan for years has given her a reputation of being inconsiderate and messy. Recently, however, she has been finding ways to rebuild her image and heal from addiction.

Considering America’s obsession with her past failures, it would only make sense that Americans would be following her recovery with equal fervor.

Oprah Winfrey recently interviewed her as part of a documentary series called “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” in which she covers the journey LiLo took through rehab and what is different now. The interview aired Sunday on the Oprah Winfrey Network and got a lot of attention from the press because of Lindsay’s honesty and open confessions to her addiction.

There is also a fan site, www.lindsaylohan.com, which since her interview with Oprah has attracted media attention. It focuses on the improvements she is making to her life and includes a picture with the talk show host.

But some people don’t have any interest in her life or her condition.

“I don’t want to think about Lindsay Lohan, but the press doesn’t really make that possible,” said Alex Borkholder, a 19-year-old UF political science sophomore.

Although LiLo may have been a popular conversation topic a few years ago, she seems to be sinking into irrelevance.

However, the press has reported every detail of Lindsay Lohan’s path to recovery. She is taking steps to turn her life around, and her interview suggests she would appreciate more privacy than the media has granted her in the past.

With all this attention, it is surprising the interview has not gone viral and is not a hot topic of local conversation.

“I would be happy to see her do better, but I am not emotionally invested in her life,” said Justin Dourado, a 20-year-old UF neurobiological sciences junior.

This story originally ran on page 10 on 8/22/2013 under the headline "Post-rehab Lindsay Lohan: Is she recovering or irrelevant?"