Trending topics to expect from the Twitter-friendly Gators in 2013

<p>Coach Will Muschamp exchanges words with an official during Florida’s 37-26 win against Florida State on Saturday at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee.</p>

Coach Will Muschamp exchanges words with an official during Florida’s 37-26 win against Florida State on Saturday at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee.

The Gators demonstrated during the offseason that they are no strangers to Twitter.

Wide receivers coach Joker Phillips is a Photoshop wizard, and offensive coordinator Brent Pease proved quick-witted when it came to Jeff Driskel’s boredom.

Even coach Will Muschamp became involved, jokingly bemoaning our generation’s beloved hashtag and insisting we call it “a number sign.”

So why wouldn't Twitter maintain its stronghold on Florida football during the season?

As Muschamp’s 105 characters aim to build on a stellar 11-2 record in 2012, here’s what I see trending for UF this year. Naturally, each is preceded by a hash - uh, number sign.

#Violators — Perhaps the opposition should get a better grip on the football this year. Turnover margin was a key component in Florida’s resurgence last season. I expect plenty of ball hawking by the Gators in 2013.

#OOMF — The sound football players make when they hit each other. Wait, that means something else? What did one of my followers do?

#Driskel&Ebert — Unless he kept his football talent in his appendix, I believe Driskel will earn #twothumbsup in 2013. Added experience, increased familiarity with Pease’s offensive scheme and the lack of a quarterback competition will help him step into the leadership role the Gators need him to fill.

#MurphysLaw — Florida should assign a Secret Service detail to protect Driskel. Like his rogue ex-appendix, danger pops up when you least expect it. With all due respect to Tyler Murphy, Driskel is the Gators’ lone viable starting quarterback. If Driskel gets hurt, Muschamp can’t simply shut off his Xbox like the rest of us.

#BieberFever — When is Justin Bieber not trending on Twitter? It’s inevitable.

#NeedForReed — Who can replace the departed Jordan Reed? The blocking will be OK, but if none emerge as half the pass-catcher Reed was last year, that would spell trouble even for Peyton Manning because…

#PleaseCatchSomething — Returning wide receivers not named Quinton Dunbar combined for eight catches and 44 yards last season. One of those guys, Andre Debose, is done for the season with a torn ACL. Talented freshman Demarcus Robinson is the wildcard. Can he step in and produce from Day 1? I think so.

#NoFlyZone — Florida’s secondary is one of the best in the country even after losing Matt Elam and Josh Evans. I can merely say names to prove my point. Loucheiz Purifoy. Marcus Roberson. Jaylen Watkins. Vernon Hargreaves III.

#1000K — Matt Jones will become the ninth Gator to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. Recovering from his recent illness may take some time, but I expect Jones to hit the ground running. Once he settles back in, he will be a game-changer.

#ItsAlmostAsGreatUF — The Gators will win fewer games this season than last, but they will be a better team. Excluding the loss to Georgia, seemingly every break went Florida’s way in 2012. The Gators will make it through the nation’s toughest schedule with eight or nine wins and a Jan. 1 bowl berth.

#HotAsHell — Two noon kickoffs in the Florida heat to begin the season? Must be nice for those insane ESPN executives to make decisions like that from the comfort of air-conditioned conference rooms.

#CoachBoom — Should we expect anything different than Muschamp’s trademark passion on the sidelines? Look forward to another season of Muschamp emotions ripe for GIFs and memes. Never change, Your Boomness, never change.

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.