<p>Junior fullback Gideon Ajagbe (25) blocks during Florida’s 24-6 victory against Toledo on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Ajagbe caught two passes for 16 yards in the game.</p>

Junior fullback Gideon Ajagbe (25) blocks during Florida’s 24-6 victory against Toledo on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Ajagbe caught two passes for 16 yards in the game.

Gideon Ajagbe did not play a snap for the Gators in 2012.

But after switching from linebacker to fullback during the offseason, Ajagbe has seen his role increase rapidly. He started on No. 9 Florida’s first offensive series and scored the first touchdown of his career in a 24-6 victory against Toledo on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

“I haven’t played much these past three years,” Ajagbe said Saturday. “For me to be a starter today, all credit goes to [God].”

With Florida leading 17-6 late in the third quarter, quarterback Jeff Driskel threw a pass to Ajagbe in the flat. After fighting off a tackler, he pushed forward for 12 yards and a first down. Three plays later, Driskel again found Ajagbe open, and the junior plunged into the end zone to increase UF’s lead to 24-6.

Ajagbe finished the game with two catches for 16 yards and a touchdown. He also helped pave the way for running back Mack Brown, who finished with a career-high 112 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries.

“He’s done an outstanding job blocking, protecting (and) catching the football,” Muschamp said of Ajagbe. “He’s a guy that has really blossomed in the position. That’s why you’ve always got to try and cross-train guys at different spots and see what they can do.”

For Ajagbe, who is known by teammates as the “Nigerian Nightmare,” changing positions seemed like an obvious choice. After suffering a torn rotator cuff as a freshman in 2010, an injury that forced him to redshirt, he returned and played four games on special teams in 2011 before not seeing the field in 2012.

Muschamp encouraged him to work at fullback during the summer, a change that has paid dividends so far as Hunter Joyer, UF’s starting fullback, works to get fully healthy following a hamstring injury.

“I’m just happy that I could contribute,” Ajagbe said. “Whatever it is, if I start again next week or if Hunter starts, I’ll play hard, and I’ll play my role. That’s what matters.”

Added Muschamp: “He’s been a huge addition for us. The thing about Gideon is he’s got length. He can play the fullback position. He can also be a move tight end for us, which he didn’t play as much Saturday because of Hunter’s situation.

Updated depth chart: Florida released its two-deep depth chart for Miami on Monday.

Matt Jones is now listed as UF’s No. 1 running back; Antonio Morrison is listed behind Mike Taylor at the Mike linebacker spot.

Jones missed Florida’s 24-6 season-opening victory against Toledo while recovering from a viral infection he suffered in July. The sophomore running back participated in warm-ups with the team and is expected to start against Miami.

“(I) feel pretty good about his progress,” Muschamp said. “As we work through the week, we’ll be able to know how much he will be able to contribute, but he certainly will play.”

Morrison sat out Saturday due to a one-game suspension levied by Muschamp following the sophomore linebacker’s pair of offseason arrests.

“He brings certain physicality to our football team, and he’s a very good communicator at the linebacker position,” Muschamp said, “which for us is critical because you gotta have a guy that is going to be able to relay the calls.”

Sophomore receiver Latroy Pittman, who was suspended Saturday and will be forced to sit out two more games, is no longer listed on the depth chart.

Getting healthy: Florida escaped the first weekend of the season relatively unscathed. Linebacker Darrin Kitchens (pulled oblique), left tackle D.J. Humphries (sprained MCL) and defensive tackle Dominique Easley (flu) were the only players Muschamp mentioned during a run-down of injuries Monday.

Kitchens will miss a couple of days but is expected to play Saturday. Easley and Humphries are expected to return to practice Tuesday.

“We feel pretty good about where we are,” Muschamp said.

Gators cut: With NFL teams having to reduce rosters to 53 players on Saturday, several former Gators became jobless over the weekend.

The New England Patriots cut Tim Tebow and former UF defensive end Jermaine Cunningham. Joining the list was David Nelson (Cleveland Browns), Frankie Hammond Jr. (Kansas City Chiefs), Chas Henry (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and Lerentee McCray (Denver Broncos).

Follow Phil Heilman on Twitter @phillip_heilman.