Local tutor switches her allegiance, makes waves in tutoring world

TutoringZone
TutoringZone

There’s been a great disturbance in the tutoring world.

The two main tutoring companies in Gainesville have traditionally competed for students in Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, as both offer tutors. But as of last week, the famous TutoringZone tutor Lauren Figler, has switched her allegiance.

“I don’t think it makes sense for students to have to choose between what were two great alternatives,” Figler wrote in an email. “While some students could afford to pay for both, many students could not and had to choose. Now, students don’t have to make the choice.”

As for the students who have already paid for TutoringZone membership in the hopes of having Figler as their tutor, Study Edge has a solution.

Study Edge is now offering free memberships to the affected students, said Ethan Fieldman, president and cofounder of Study Edge.

“We don’t want students to pay twice for Lauren because, quite frankly, that gets expensive,” he said.

Fieldman said they have had students come in since the switch specifically asking for Figler as their tutor. Figler said none of her students have complained about the switch.

“I don’t think it’s been an issue at all,” she said.

Along with the addition of a second organic chemistry tutor, Study Edge now offers weekly online reviews for Organic Chemistry 1 and 2.

However, the switch isn’t as dramatic as some might think, Fieldman said.

Jenn Worthington, the current Study Edge organic chemistry tutor, and Figler are good friends who worked together for a few years previously at TutoringZone. Figler called her reunion with her colleague “a weight off my shoulders.”

“It’s the best of both orgo worlds,” Figler said.

She has been tutoring students in chemistry and organic chemistry since 2000 and said she’s happy her transition allows her to continue doing what she loves.

TutoringZone declined to comment. But Fieldman said even with the mid-semester move, it was simple.

“It’s a really smooth and easy transition, and the students are really happy with it so far,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 9/20/2013 under the headline "Local tutor switches her allegiance, makes waves in tutoring world"